Even at the beginning of our learning journey, a whole new world opens in front of our eyes. Even knowing just a bit about another language, opens your world wide
The intent of our Spanish curriculum focusses on enabling pupils to make substantial progress in learning Spanish. The teaching provides an appropriate balance of spoken and written language. It should enable pupils to understand and communicate ideas, facts and feelings in speech and writing, focused on relevant and appropriate topics, using their knowledge of phonology, grammatical structures and vocabulary. We strive to embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing necessary to enable children to use and apply their learning in a variety of contexts.
Every child in Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 will access Spanish lessons throughout the year as well as using their language skills in daily activities across the curriculum. In KS2, the pupils start to demonstrate an understanding of basic grammar, listening, reading and writing skills that is planned through our progression of skills document. The children love learning Spanish and show great enthusiasm for learning a new language.
Through the high quality first teaching of Modern Foreign Languages taking place we will see the impact of the subject in different ways:
• Children will be provided with opportunities to communicate with each other in Spanish.
• Children will be given the opportunity to look at other languages – particularly if children are bi-lingual.
• Children will learn how language skills can be applied to a range of languages.
• Children will become aware that language has structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another.
• Children will develop their language through development of the four key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Children will enrich their language learning by developing an understanding of the Spanish culture. Our MFL curriculum ensures that children develop their knowledge of where different languages, including the range of home languages spoken by the families of the school, as well as Spanish, are spoken in the world.
Spanish Progression Document coming soon